- This event has passed.
Panel Discussion at SAND Conference – Sex, Money, Power, Trauma & Ethics in Spiritual Communities
October 25, 2019 @ 3:30 pm - 4:25 pm
Join Miranda and several other presenters at this year’s SAND Conference for a timely conversation exploring a new paradigm supporting psychological health for spiritual teachers, leaders, and communities. Many scandals, traumas, and the common psychological dysfunctions litter the modern spiritual and religious landscape. Instead of focusing on what went wrong, we believe we can learn from past mistakes and collectively focus on spiritual integrity, trauma, shadow work, embodiment, psychological growth, and ethics, in order to cultivate qualities that create healthy, mature spiritual teachers, students, and communities, as well as success and integrity on the path.
Let us together meet the challenging topics of sex, power, money, trauma, hierarchies, groupmind/groupthink, and spiritual bypassing in a supportive and proactive environment. Join us as we work to explore new models based on shared human values while honoring our spiritual nature.
Together we will examine:
• What qualities characterize a psychologically healthy teacher, student, and spiritual community?
• Is there a legitimate role for conventional therapy or other psychologically healing modalities on the spiritual path?
• How do new understandings of trauma research and healing impact our understanding of integrated psychospiritual growth?
• What defines a healthy teacher/student relationship? What is at play when a teacher consciously or unconsciously cultivates dependency in their students?
• What is group mind and group think within spiritual communities and how does it contribute to unhealthy behavior or cult-like tendencies?
• Does the contemporary spiritual community share clear, ethical practices and processes?
At the end of this explorative discussion, are we open to taking on the challenge to support change both within our personal lives and within our spiritual communities? Together we will mobilize to empower ourselves and each other to be the change we want to see within the current climate of contemporary spirituality.